Peterhof Palace, St. Petesburg, Russia…Palacio Peterhof, San Petesburgo, Rusia

DSCN3932DSCN3843DSCN3899DSCN3847DSCN3902DSCN3844DSCN3896DSCN3923DSCN3914DSCN3886DSCN3952DSCN3880DSCN3875DSCN3942DSCN3907DSCN3963DSCN3894DSCN3925DSCN3885DSCN3927DSCN3861DSCN3954DSCN3965DSCN3882DSCN3966DSCN3948DSCN3860DSCN3935DSCN3912DSCN3949DSCN3916DSCN3851DSCN3845DSCN3958DSCN3878DSCN3938DSCN3957

 

 

Text credits:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/peterhof/

Peterhof (Petrodvorets)
One of St. Petersburg’s most famous and popular visitor attractions, the palace and park at Peterhof (also known as Petrodvorets) are often referred to as “the Russian Versailles”, although many visitors conclude that the comparison does a disservice to the grandeur and scope of this majestic estate.
Versailles was, however, the inspiration for Peter the Great’s desire to build an imperial palace in the suburbs of his new city and, after an aborted attempt at Strelna, Peterhof – which means “Peter’s Court” in German – became the site for the Tsar’s Monplaisir Palace, and then of the original Grand Palace. The estate was equally popular with Peter’s daughter, Empress Elizabeth, who ordered the expansion of the Grand Palace and greatly extended the park and the famous system of fountains, including the truly spectacular Grand Cascade.

Improvements to the park continued throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Catherine the Great, after leaving her own mark on the park, moved the court to Pushkin, but Peterhof once again became the official Imperial Residence in the reign of Nicholas I, who ordered the building of the modest Cottage Palace in 1826.

Like almost all St. Petersburg’s suburban estates, Peterhof was ravaged by German troops during the Second World War. It was, however, one of the first to be resurrected and, thanks to the work of military engineers as well as over 1,000 volunteers, the Lower Park opened to the public in 1945 and the facades of the Grand Palace were restored in 1952. The name was also de-Germanicized in 1944, becoming Petrodvorets, the name under which the surrounding town is still known. The palace and park are once again known as Peterhof.

Text credits:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/peterhof/grand-palace/

The Grand Palace at Peterhof was designed to be the centerpiece of Peter the Great’s “Russian Versaille”. Around 1720, the Tsar gave up on attempts to establish his court at Strelna, mainly because the boggy ground proved entirely unsuitable for the canals and fountains that he envisioned. Moving his attentions further west to Peterhof, the Tsar began to draw up his own plans for the grounds and palace. Work had already begun on a modest palace, designed by Jean-Baptiste Le Blond, in 1714, and that building was completed in 1721.

Meanwhile, fired by Peter’s untiring enthusiasm, a massive amount of work had been completed around the palace, including the landscaping of the Lower Park, the digging of the Sea Canal, and the building of Monplaisir, Marly Palace, and most of the Hermitage. The original Higher Palace was somewhat inadequate for its surrounding splendours, and Peter instructed Le Blond and his pupil, Johann Braunstein, to expand the building.

Work was halted after Peter’s death in 1725, and Petrhof was almost abandoned until Peter’s daughter Elizabeth came to the throne in 1740. Elizabeth commissioned Bartolomeo Rastrelli, who had already completed the Summer Palace in St. Petersburg, to build a genuinely regal palace. Rastrelli chose to retain the original building within his design, and the result is supremely elegant and surprisingly restrained. The long, narrow palace, which was built in the last decade before baroque made way for neoclassicism, has minimal decoration, and Rastrelli’s chief stylistic flourishes are the two white pavilions with gilded cupolas at the end of the wings. Beige and white, the palace is majestic without being overwhelming, and provides a perfect backdrop both to the elegantly formal Upper Garden, and to the spectacular Grand Cascade.

Inside, the Grand Palace is considerably more lavish, and the fact that the interiors had to be almost entirely reconstructed after World War Two does nothing to detract from their grandeur. The interiors are in fact a combination of original designs by Rastrelli and renovations by Yurii Felten and Vallin de la Mothe during the reign of Catherine the Great. Further changes were made in the mid-19th century, but nonetheless the palace’s sumptuous interiors have retained a remarkable homogeneity of style.

Visitors entering the palace are confronted by Rastrelli’s incredibly ornate Ceremonial Staircase, which sets the tone for what is to come with a magnificent fresco of Aurora and Genius and multitude of gilded statues. Highlights include the richly gilded Ballroom and Felten’s splendid white-and-turquoise Throne Room, which has a particularly fine parquet floor. The Western Chinese Study is heavily Oriental, with jewel red and green walls and a beautiful Chinese tea-set. The Drawing Room of the Imperial Suite is equally influenced by chinoiserie, with particularly fine silk wall hangings. The rest of the Imperial Suite, the royal family’s private quarters, is furnished in grand 19th century style. Also of interest is Peter the Great’s charmingly simple Oak Study, and the adjacent Crown Room, which was in fact the Imperial bedchamber.

Text credits:
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/peterhof/fountains-peterhof/

The fountains of Peterhof are one of Russia’s most famous tourist attractions, drawing millions of visitors every year. Fountains were intrinsic to Peter the Great’s original plans for Peterhof – it was the impossibility of engineering sufficiently powerful jets of water that prompted him to move his attentions from the Strelna site to Peterhof – and subsequent generations competed with their predecessors to add grander and ever more ingenious water features to the parkland surrounding the Grand Palace.

The most famous ensemble of fountains, the Grand Cascade, which runs from the northern facade of the Grand Palace to the Marine Canal, comprises 64 different fountains, and over 200 bronze statues, bas-reliefs, and other decorations. At the centre stands Rastrelli’s spectacular statue of Samson wrestling the jaws of a lion. The vista of the Grand Cascade with the Grand Palace behind it, the first sight to great visitors who arrive in Peterhof by sea, is truly breathtaking. The Grotto behind the Grand Cascade, which was once used for small parties, contains the enormous pipes, originally wooden, that feed the fountains.

Elsewhere in the park, the range and diversity of fountains is astounding, from further monumental ensembles like the Chess Cascade and the Pyramid Fountain, to the ever-popular Joke Fountains, including one which sprays unwary passers-by who step on a particular paving stone.

The official opening of the fountains at Peterhof, which usually takes place at the end of May, is an all-day festival, with classical music, fireworks and other performances, as each section of the park’s fountains is turned on one by one.

Русский язык
кредиты этого текста:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%84

Петерго́ф (от нем. Peterhof — «двор Петра», с 1944 по 1997 год — Петродворе́ц) — внутригородское муниципальное образование в составе Петродворцового района города федерального значения Санкт-Петербурга. Расположен на южном берегу Финского залива. Крупный туристический, научный и учебный центр к западу от Санкт-Петербурга, в 29 км по железной дороге.

На территории муниципального образования «город Петергоф» расположена железнодорожная станция «Новый Петергоф» и три железнодорожных остановочных пункта, которые являются частью инфраструктуры Балтийской линии Октябрьской железной дороги и оборудованы двумя платформами пригородного сообщения. Названия этих пунктов в порядке их удалённости от Балтийского вокзала: «Красные Зори», «Старый Петергоф», «Университет». На территории муниципального образования также находится пристань (причал на Финском заливе).

Петергоф основан в 1710 году как императорская загородная резиденция, статус города — с 1762 года. В городе находится памятник мировой архитектуры и дворцово-паркового искусства XVIII—XIX веков музей-заповедник «Петергоф». Наукоград с 2005 года.

Español
Créditos de este texto:
https://www.101viajes.com/san-petersburgo/palacio-jardines-peterhof

Peterhof es uno de los sitios imperiales más famosos del mundo. Reúne el lujo y la majestuosidad característicos del imperio ruso con el estilo de los palacios europeos. Fue construido sobre la costa del Golfo de Finlandia como un símbolo de la conquista rusa del Mar Báltico pero, a la vez, como un espejo que reflejaba el lujo de las cortes europeas.
Es, sin duda, uno de los palacios reales más bellos del mundo, un lugar que no puedes dejar de conocer.

Las fuentes sólo funcionan de mayo a octubre, por lo que te aconsejamos hacer esta visita en primavera/verano para ver el lugar en todo su esplendor.

HISTORIA DE PETERHOF
Pedro el Grande acababa de arrebatar el delta del Neva de las manos de Suecia y comenzó la construcción de varias fortalezas costeras, como la de Pedro y Pablo, para asegurar y defender su dominio en la zona. Como supervisaba de forma personal el avance de las obras, debía viajar frecuentemente a esta zona.
Por sugerencia de su esposa, la emperatriz Catalina, decidió construir un lugar de residencia más cercano a la costa. En 1705 hizo construir, entonces, una casa de campo para pasar el verano. Pero pronto vio que era un excelente lugar para un palacio imperial.
En 1714 convocó a un grupo de arquitectos, paisajistas, ingenieros y artistas para diseñar tanto el palacio como los jardines que lo rodearían. La construcción del palacio y los suntuosos jardines circundantes comenzó ese mismo año y terminó en 1721, aunque el complejo continuó ampliándose con el paso del tiempo del tiempo, especialmente después de la visita de Pedro I a Versailles.

GRAN PALACIO
Este palacio es el corazón del sitio imperial. Fue diseñado por el arquitecto Jean-Baptiste le Blond según dibujos y esquemas realizados por el mismo zar, que quería una residencia de dos pisos con dos alas, ubicada en la cima de una colina.
Pedro I siguió ampliando el palacio y las construcciones circundantes hasta su muerte en 1725, pero la verdadera transformación se produjo a partir de 1740 cuando llegó al trono su hija, la Emperatriz Isabel. Fue el arquitecto Francesco Rastrelli quien lo transformó en un lujosísimo palacio barroco, agregando, además, un piso, una nueva ala y una pequeña capilla. El estudio de Pedro I se conservó en su estado original.
Catalina la Grande continuó ampliando y embelleciendo el palacio, en el que destacan la Escalera Ceremonial, el Salón de Baile, la Sala de los Retratos, la Sala China, la Sala de Audiencias, la Sala de Dibujo, y la imponente Sala del Trono.

PARQUE INFERIOR – GRAN CASCADA, OTRAS FUENTES Y PABELLONES
El Parque Inferior fue parte del proyecto original de Pedro I y se construyó al mismo tiempo que el Gran Palacio. Es el jardín más famoso del sitio, por las 18 fuentes que alberga, alimentadas por un sistema de embalses y canales de más de 20 kilómetros de largo ideado por el mismo zar. Las fuentes no usan bombas sino que son alimentadas por diferencia de altura y presión.
Sin duda, la fuente más famosa es La Gran Cascada, una fuente construida en terrazas adornadas con esculturas doradas y cuyos chorros de agua van descendiendo hasta llegar a un canal que lleva el agua al mar.
Otras fuentes muy bellas y llamativas son la de Sansón, la Fuente del Sol, la fuente del paraguas y las fuentes de las que brota el agua sólo cuando alguien pasa frente a ellas.
En el Parque Inferior también se alzan, entre otros edificios, la Iglesia de San Pedro y San Pablo de 1751; el museo de joyas y tesoros imperiales; las Grutas de la Gran Cascada, un museo donde se explica el funcionamiento de los canales y fuentes del parque; el Palacio Monplaisir, la residencia favorita de Pedro I, donde se exhiben porcelanas, cristales y pinturas; el Hermitage , donde el zar organizaba comidas para sus amigos íntimos; el Palacio Marly, un pequeño palacio construido junto a una colina artificial y entre estanques.

PARQUE SUPERIOR
El Parque Superior está frente a la fachada sur del Gran Palacio. Es un jardín simétrico al estilo francés, con cinco fuentes, cada una de las cuales está coronada por una estatua: las Fuentes de los embalses (destinadas a recolectar el agua para las fuentes del Parque Inferior), la Fuente de Neptuno, la Fuente del Roble y la Fuente Mezheumny.

QUÉ MÁS SE PUEDE VER EN PETERHOF
También forman parte del Complejo el Invernadero, el Pabellón de Olga, el Parque Alexandria con su casa de campo, capilla y granja; el Pabellón de la Zarina; el Parque de las Columnas; la Cascada de los Dragones.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.