St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow, Russia… Catedral de San Basilio, Moscú, Rusia / la belleza de sus detalles… the beauty of its details

DSCN2902DSCN2911 copy 2DSCN2901DSCN2924DSCN2926DSCN2911 copyDSCN2927DSCN2935_edited-1DSCN2910DSCN2931DSCN2940DSCN2943DSCN2940 copyDSCN2923DSCN2937DSCN2936DSCN2938DSCN2939DSCN2942DSCN2923 copyDSCN2940 copy 2DSCN2944DSCN2912DSCN2945DSCN3056DSCN3069DSCN3068DSCN3072DSCN3076

Text credits:
http://architectuul.com/architecture/saint-basil-s-cathedral
by Postnik Yakovlev

The Cathedral of Vasily the Blessed (Russian: Собор Василия Блаженного), commonly known as Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Kremlin, is a former church in Red Square in Moscow, Russia. The building, now a museum, is officially known as the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin on the Moat (Russian: Собор Покрова пресвятой Богородицы, что на Рву) or Pokrovsky Cathedral (Russian: Покровский собор). It was built from 1555–61 on orders from Ivan the Terrible and commemorates the capture of Kazan and Astrakhan. It has been the hub of the city’s growth since the 14th century and was the city’s tallest building until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower in 1600.

The original building, known as Trinity Church and later Trinity Cathedral, contained eight side churches arranged around the ninth, central church of Intercession; the tenth church was erected in 1588 over the grave of venerated local saint Vasily (Basil). In the 16th and 17th centuries the church, perceived as the earthly symbol of the Heavenly City, as happens to all churches in Byzantine Christianity, was popularly known as the “Jerusalem” and served as an allegory of the Jerusalem Temple in the annual Palm Sunday parade attended by the Patriarch of Moscow and the tsar.

The building is shaped as a flame of a bonfire rising into the sky, a design that has no analogues in Russian architecture. Dmitry Shvidkovsky, in his book Russian Architecture and the West, states that “it is like no other Russian building. Nothing similar can be found in the entire millennium of Byzantine tradition from the fifth to fifteenth century … a strangeness that astonishes by its unexpectedness, complexity and dazzling interleaving of the manifold details of its design.” The cathedral foreshadowed the climax of Russian national architecture in the 17th century.

As part of the program of state atheism, the church was confiscated from the Russian Orthodox community as part of the Soviet Union’s anti-theist campaigns and has operated as a division of the State Historical Museum since 1928. It was completely and forcefully secularized in 1929 and remains a federal property of the Russian Federation. The church has been part of the Moscow Kremlin and Red Square UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990. It is often mislabelled as the Kremlin owing to its location on Red Square in immediate proximity of the Kremlin.

Red Square, early 17th century. Fragment from Bleau Atlas. The structure with three roof tents in foreground left is the original detached belfry of the Trinity Church, not drawn to scale. Trinity Church stands behind it, slightly closer to the road starting at St. Frol’s (later Saviour’s ) Gate of the Kremlin. The horseshoe-shaped object near the road in the foreground is Lobnoye Mesto.

Construction under Ivan IV
The site of the church had been, historically, a busy marketplace between the St. Frol’s (later Saviour’s) Gate of the Moscow Kremlin and the outlying posad. The centre of the marketplace was marked by the Trinity Church, built of the same white stone as the Kremlin of Dmitry Donskoy (1366–68) and its cathedrals. Tsar Ivan IV marked every victory of the Russo-Kazan War by erecting a wooden memorial church next to the walls of Trinity Church; by the end of his Astrakhan campaign, it was shrouded within a cluster of seven wooden churches. According to the sketchy report in Nikon’s Chronicle, in the autumn of 1554 Ivan ordered construction of the wooden Church of Intercession on the same site, “on the moat”. One year later, Ivan ordered construction of a new stone cathedral on the site of Trinity Church that would commemorate his campaigns. Dedication of a church to a military victory was “a major innovation” for Muscovy. The placement of the church outside of the Kremlin walls was a political statement in favour of posad commoners and against hereditary boyars.

Chronists clearly identified the new building as Trinity Church, after its easternmost sanctuary; the status of “sobor” (large assembly church) has not been bestowed on it yet:

In the same year, through the will of czar and lord and grand prince Ivan began making the pledged church, as he promised for the capture of Kazan: Trinity and Intercession and seven sanctuaries, also called “on the moat”. And the builder was Barma with company.

The identity of the architect is unknown. Tradition held that the church was built by two architects, Barma and Postnik: the official Russian cultural heritage register lists “Barma and Postnik Yakovlev”. Researchers proposed that both names refer to the same person, Postnik Yakovlev or, alternatively, Ivan Yakovlevich Barma (Varfolomey). Legend held that Ivan blinded the architect so that he could not re-create the masterpiece elsewhere, although the real Postnik Yakovlev remained active at least throughout the 1560s. There is evidence that construction involved stonemasons from Pskov and German lands.

Architectural style
Because the church has no analogues, in preceding, contemporary, or later architecture of Muscovy and Byzantine cultural tradition in general, the sources that inspired Barma and Postnik are disputed. Eugène Viollet-le-Duc rejected European roots for the cathedral; according to him, its corbel arches were Byzantine, and ultimately Asian. A modern “Asian” hypothesis considers the cathedral a recreation of Qolsharif Mosque, which was destroyed by Russian troops after the siege of Kazan.

Nineteenth-century Russian writers, starting with Ivan Zabelin, emphasized the influence of the vernacular wooden churches of the Russian North; their motifs made their ways into masonry, particularly the votive churches that did not need to house substantial congregations. David Watkin also wrote of a blend of Russian and Byzantine roots, calling the cathedral “the climax” of Russian vernacular wooden architecture.

The church combines the staggered layered design of the earliest (1505–08) part of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower, the central tent of the Church of Ascension in Kolomenskoye (1530s), and the cylindric shape of the Church of Beheading of John the Baptist in Dyakovo (1547), but the origin of these unique buildings is equally debated. The Church in Kolomenskoye, according to Sergey Podyapolsky, was built by Italian Petrok Maly, although mainstream history has not yet accepted his opinion. Andrey Batalov revised the year of completion of Dyakovo church from 1547 to the 1560s–70s, and noted that Trinity Church could have had no tangible predecessors at all.

Dmitry Shvidkovsky suggested that the “improbable” shapes of the Intercession Church and the Church of Ascension in Kolomenskoye manifested an emerging national renaissance, blending earlier Muscovite elements with the influence of Italian Renaissance. A large group of Italian architects and craftsmen continuously worked in Moscow in 1474–1539, as well as Greek refugees that arrived in the city after the fall of Constantinople. These two groups, according to Shvidkovsky, helped Moscow rulers in forging the doctrine of Third Rome, which in turn promoted assimilation of contemporary Greek and Italian culture. Shvidkovsky noted the resemblance of the cathedral’s floorplan to Italian concepts by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and Donato Bramante, but most likely Filarete’s Trattato di architettura. Other Russian researchers noted a resemblance to sketches by Leonardo da Vinci, although he could not have been known in Ivan’s Moscow. Nikolay Brunov recognized the influence of these prototypes but not their significance; he suggested that in the mid-16th century Moscow already had local architects trained in Italian tradition, architectural drawing and perspective, and that this culture was lost during the Time of Troubles.

Andrey Batalov wrote that, judging by the number of novel elements introduced with Trinity Church, it was most likely built by German craftsmen. Batalov and Shvidkovsky noted that during Ivan’s reign, Germans and Englishmen replaced Italians, although German influence peaked later, during the reign of Mikhail Romanov. German influence is indirectly supported by the rusticated pilasters of the central church, a feature more common in contemporary Northern Europe than in Italy.

The 1983 academic edition of Monuments of Architecture in Moscow takes the middle ground: the church is, most likely, a product of the complex interaction of distinct Russian traditions of wooden and stone architecture, with some elements borrowed from the works of Italians in Moscow. Specifically, the style of brickwork in the vaults is Italian.

Layout
Instead of following the original ad hoc layout (seven churches around the central core), Ivan’s architects opted for a more symmetrical floor plan with eight side churches around the core, producing “a thoroughly coherent, logical plan” despite the erroneous latter “notion of a structure devoid of restraint or reason” influenced by the memory of Ivan’s irrational atrocities. The central core and the four larger churches placed on the four major compass points are octagonal; the four diagonally placed smaller churches are cuboid, although their shape is barely visible through later additions. The larger churches stand on massive foundations, while the smaller ones were each placed on a raised platform, as if hovering above ground.

Although the side churches are arranged in perfect symmetry, the cathedral as a whole is not. The larger central church was deliberately offset to the west from the geometric center of the side churches, to accommodate its larger apse on the eastern side. As a result of this subtle calculated[45] asymmetry, viewing from the north and the south presents a complex multi-axial shape, while the western facade, facing the Kremlin, appears properly symmetrical and monolithic. The latter perception is reinforced by the fortress-style machicolation and corbeled cornice of the western Church of Entry into Jerusalem, mirroring the real fortifications of the Kremlin.

Inside the composite church is a labyrinth of narrow vaulted corridors and vertical cylinders of the churches. The largest, central one, the Church of the Intercession, is 46 meters tall internally but has a floor area of only 64 square meters. Nevertheless, it is wider and airier than the church in Kolomenskoye with its exceptionally thick walls. The corridors functioned as internal parvises; the western corridor, adorned with a unique flat caissoned ceiling, doubled as the narthex.

The detached belfry of the original Trinity Church stood southwest or south from the main structure. Late 16th and early 17th century plans depict a simple structure with three roof tents, most likely covered with sheet metal. No buildings of this type survived to date, although it was then common and used in all of the pass-through towers of Skorodom. August von Meyerberg’s panorama (1661) presents a different building, with a cluster of small onion domes.

Structure
The foundations, as was traditional in medieval Moscow, were built of white stone, while the churches themselves were built of red brick (28×14×8 centimeters), then a relatively new material[21] (the first attested brick building in Moscow, the new Kremlin Wall, was started in 1485). Surveys of the structure show that the basement level is perfectly aligned, indicating use of professional drawing and measurement, but each subsequent level becomes less and less regular. Restorers who replaced parts of the brickwork in 1954–55 discovered that the massive brick walls conceal an internal wooden frame running the entire height of the church. This frame, made of elaborately tied thin studs, was erected as a life-size spatial model of the future cathedral and was then gradually enclosed in solid masonry.

The builders, fascinated by the flexibility of the new technology, used brick as a decorative medium both inside and outside, leaving as much brickwork open as possible; when location required the use of stone walls, it was decorated with a brickwork pattern painted over stucco. A major novelty introduced by the church was the use of strictly “architectural” means of exterior decoration. Sculpture and sacred symbols employed by earlier Russian architecture are completely missing; floral ornaments are a later addition. Instead, the church boasts a diversity of three-dimensional architectural elements executed in brick.

Color
The church acquired its present-day vivid colors in several stages from the 1680s to 1848. Russian attitude towards color in the 17th century changed in favor of bright colors; icon and mural art experienced an explosive growth in the number of available paints, dyes and their combinations. The original color scheme, missing these innovations, was far less challenging. It followed the depiction of the Heavenly City in the Book of Revelation:

“And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.”

The 25 seats from the biblical reference are alluded to in the building’s structure, with the addition of eight small onion domes around the central tent, four around the western side church and four elsewhere. This arrangement survived through most of the 17th century.[58] The walls of the church mixed bare red brickwork or painted imitation of bricks with white ornaments, in roughly equal proportion. The domes, covered with tin, were uniformly gilded, creating an overall bright but fairly traditional combination of white, red and golden colors. Moderate use of green and blue ceramic inserts provided a touch of rainbow as prescribed by the Bible.

While historians agree on the color of the 16th-century domes, their shape is disputed. Boris Eding wrote that they most likely were of the same onion shape as the present-day domes. However, both Kolomenskoye and Dyakovo churches have flattened hemispherical domes, and the same type could have been used by Barma and Postnik.

Русский язык
кредиты этого текста:
https://www.culture.ru/materials/211445/7-interesnykh-faktov-o-khrame-vasiliya-blazhennogo

УБЛИКАЦИИ РАЗДЕЛА АРХИТЕКТУРА
7 интересных фактов о храме Василия Блаженного
В 1561 году была освящена одна из самых известных церквей России — Покровский собор, или, как его называют иначе, храм Василия Блаженного. Портал «Культура.РФ» вспомнил интересные факты из истории его создания.

Храм-памятник
Покровский собор — это не просто церковь, а храм-памятник, возведенный в честь присоединения Казанского ханства к Русскому государству. Главная битва, в которой русские войска одержали победу, произошла в день Покрова Пресвятой Богородицы. И храм был освящен в честь этого христианского праздника. Собор состоит из отдельных церквей, каждая из которых также освящена в честь праздников, в которые происходили решающие бои за Казань, — Троицы, Входа Господня в Иерусалим и других.

Грандиозная стройка в рекордные сроки
Изначально на месте собора стояла деревянная Троицкая церковь. Вокруг нее во время походов на Казань возводились храмы — они отмечали громкие победы русского войска. Когда Казань окончательно пала, митрополит Макарий предложил Ивану Грозному перестроить архитектурный ансамбль в камне. Он хотел окружить центральный храм семью церквями, но ради симметрии количество увеличили до восьми. Так, на одном основании были построены 9 самостоятельных храмов и звонница, их соединяли сводчатые переходы. Снаружи церкви были окружены открытой галереей, которую называли гульбищем — это была своеобразная церковная паперть. Каждый храм увенчали собственным куполом с неповторимым рисунком и оригинальной отделкой барабана. Грандиозное по тем временам сооружение высотой 65 метров строили всего шесть лет — с 1555 по 1561 год. Вплоть до 1600 года это было самое высокое здание Москвы .

Храм в честь прорицателя
Хотя официальное название собора — собор Покрова на Рву, все знают его как храм Василия Блаженного. По преданию, известный московский чудотворец собирал деньги на строительство храма, а потом был похоронен у его стен. Юродивый Василий Блаженный ходил по московским улицам босым, почти без одежды практически весь год, проповедовал милосердие и помощь ближним. Ходили легенды и о его провидческом даре: говорят, он предсказал московский пожар 1547 года. Сын Ивана Грозного Федор Иоаннович распорядился построить церковь, посвященную Василию Блаженному. Она стала частью Покровского собора. Церковь была единственным храмом, который работал всегда — круглый год, и днем, и ночью. Позже по ее названию прихожане начали и собор называть собором Василия Блаженного.

Царская сокровищница и аналой на Лобном месте
В соборе нет подвальных помещений. Вместо них построили общее основание — перекрытый сводами подклет без поддерживающих столбов. Вентилировались они через специальные узкие отверстия — продухи. Изначально помещение использовали как склад — там хранилась царская казна и ценности некоторых богатых московских семей. Позже узкий вход в подклет заложили — его нашли лишь во время реставрации 1930-х годов.

При своих колоссальных внешних размерах, внутри Покровский собор совсем невелик. Возможно, потому, что изначально он строился как мемориальный памятник. Зимой собор и вовсе был закрыт, так как не отапливался. Когда в храме начали проводить службы, особенно по большим церковным праздникам, внутри помещалось очень мало людей. Тогда аналой переносили на Лобное место, а собор будто служил громадным алтарем.

Русский зодчий или европейский мастер
До сих пор доподлинно неизвестно, кто построил храм Василия Блаженного. У исследователей есть несколько вариантов. Один из них — собор возвели древнерусские зодчие Постник Яковлев и Иван Барма. По другой версии, Яковлев и Барма были на самом деле одним человеком. Третий вариант гласит, что автором собора стал иностранный архитектор. Ведь композиция храма Василия Блаженного не имеет аналогий в древнерусском зодчестве, а вот в западноевропейском искусстве найти прототипы здания можно.

Кем бы ни был архитектор, существуют печальные легенды о его дальнейшей судьбе. Согласно им, когда Иван Грозный увидел храм, то был поражен его красотой и велел ослепить зодчего, чтобы тот никогда и нигде не повторил свою величественную постройку. Другая легенда гласит, что строителя-иностранца и вовсе казнили — по той же причине.

Иконостас с заворотом
Иконостас для собора Василия Блаженного создали в 1895 году по проекту архитектора Андрея Павлинова. Это так называемый иконостас с заворотом — он настолько велик для небольшого храма, что продолжается на боковых стенах. Его украшают старинные иконы — Богоматерь Смоленская XVI века и образ святого Василия Блаженного, написанный в XVIII веке.

Также храм декорирован росписями — они созданы на стенах здания в разные годы. Здесь изображены Василий Блаженный, Богородица, главный купол украшен ликом Спаса Вседержителя.

«Лазарь, поставь на место!»
Собор несколько раз едва не разрушили. Во время Отечественной войны 1812 года здесь разместились французские конюшни, а после храм и вовсе собирались взорвать. Уже в советское время сподвижник Сталина Лазарь Каганович предлагал разобрать собор, чтобы на Красной площади стало больше места для парадов и демонстраций. Он даже создал макет площади, и здание храма с нее легко снималось. Но Сталин, увидев архитектурный образец, сказал: «Лазарь, поставь на место!»

Автор: Лидия Утёмова

Español
Créditos de este texto:
https://mundo.sputniknews.com/rusia/20110712149540880-rusia-arquitectura-catedral-plaza-roja/

La Catedral del Manto de la Virgen sobre el Foso, más conocida como la Catedral de San Basilio, está situada en la parte meridional de la Plaza Roja, cerca de la Puerta del Salvador del Kremlin, en la parte alta de la ladera que conduce al río Moskova. Fue construida a mediados del siglo XVI por orden del zar Iván el Terrible para conmemorar la victoria de Rusia sobre el Kanato de Kazán, que formaba parte del Imperio de la Horda de Oro.

No se sabe exactamente qué había antes en este lugar. Manuscritos rusos contienen menciones aisladas y contradictorias sobre algunas iglesias de madera y de piedra, lo que dio lugar a un sinnúmero de suposiciones, versiones y mitos.

De acuerdo con una de esas versiones, tras el regreso de Iván el Terrible de su campaña militar contra el Kanato de Kazán, en 1552, ordenó fundar en el lugar de la futura Catedral del Manto de la Virgen una Iglesia de madera con siete altares laterales en honor de la Santísima Trinidad.
El Metropolita de Moscú, Macario, aconsejó al Zar que mandara construir en el mismo sitio una catedral de piedra y también ideó la composición de la futura Catedral.

La primera mención fidedigna de la construcción de la Catedral de San Basilio data del otoño de 1554. Se considera que era una Catedral de madera que algo más de 6 meses después fue desmontada antes de que en el mismo sitio, en la primavera de 1551, se empezara a construir una Catedral de piedra.

La Catedral fue construida por los arquitectos Barma y Postnik, aunque algunos suponen que son los dos nombres de una misma persona. Una leyenda decía que, concluida la construcción, para que en el futuro no pudieran construir una obra mejor, el zar Iván el Terrible ordenó dejarles ciegos.

La construcción de la Catedral llevó 6 años y avanzó únicamente durante la temporada de calor. El manuscrito hace mención de una “milagrosa aparición” ante los arquitectos del noveno altar de la Catedral, en la zona meridional después de que la obra se acercara a su final. Sin embargo, la organización simétrica evidencia que los autores desde el principio tenían planeado edificar 8 altares laterales alrededor de la Iglesia central. La Catedral se construyó en ladrillo y los cimientos, el zócalo y algunos elementos de la decoración fueron hechos en piedra blanca.

Para otoño de 1559 la mayor parte de la obra estaba lista. Para la fiesta del Manto de la Virgen fueron bendecidas todas las capillas, a excepción de la central, porque “la gran iglesia central no estaba acabada para la celebración del Día de la Virgen aquel año”.
La Iglesia central y toda la Catedral fueron consagradas el 12 de julio de 1591 por el Metropolita Macario.

Cada capilla tuvo su propia consagración: la capilla oriental fue bendecida en nombre de la Santísima Trinidad. Los investigadores hasta el día de hoy se preguntan por la razón de esta elección. Al respecto existen varias hipótesis: en 1553, en la conquistada Kazán se fundó el monasterio de la Santísima Trinidad. También se cree que en el lugar que ocupa hoy la Catedral del Manto de la Virgen antes había una iglesia de madera, la de la Santísima Trinidad, que posteriormente pasó a dar su nombre a uno de los altares de la Catedral.

Los otros altares fueron consagrados a los santos en cuyos días de veneración se produjeron los acontecimientos más importantes de la campaña contra el Kanato de Kazán y a los tres Patriarcas de Constantinopla, Alejandro, Juan y Pablo el Nuevo. El altar central fue bendecido en honor a la fiesta del Manto de la Virgen, porque el 1 de octubre, símbolo de la protección de los cristianos por la Virgen, empezó el ataque contra Kazán. La Catedral también recibió el mismo nombre.

La Catedral se mencionaba en los manuscritos como Catedral del Manto de la Virgen sobre el Foso, lo que se debía a que desde el siglo XIV a través de toda la plaza que posteriormente recibiría el nombre de Roja y a lo largo de las murallas del Kremlin pasaba un profundo y ancho foso que dejó de existir en 1813.
La Catedral tenía una composición inusual: 9 Iglesias independientes fueron construidas sobre un fundamento común y unidas entre ellas por pasadizos interiores situados alrededor de la Iglesia central. Por fuera todas las iglesias estaban rodeadas por una galería originalmente abierta. La Iglesia central estaba coronada por una cúpula piramidal y los altares laterales tenían bóvedas y cúpulas.

El conjunto de la Catedral se completaba con un campanario abierto con tres cúpulas piramidales, en los arcos de los cuales colgaban macizas campanas. Originalmente la Catedral estaba coronada por 8 cúpulas grandes y una pequeña sobre la Iglesia central. Para subrayar la importancia de los materiales de construcción y proteger la Catedral de los daños atmosféricos, sus paredes estaban pintadas por fuera de rojo y blanco de manera que la pintura imitara los ladrillos. El material que recubría inicialmente las cúpulas, se desconoce, porque fue destruido pos el devastador incendio de 1595.

La Catedral conservó su aspecto original hasta 1588, año en el que por la parte nororiental fue construida junto a ella la décima Iglesia que se erigió sobre la tumba de San Basilio que había pasado mucho tiempo contemplando la obra y solicitó ser enterrado al lado. El famoso santón moscovita, al que se le atribuían numerosos milagros, murió en 1557 y, después de su canonización, el Zar Fiodor Ioannovich, hijo de Iván el Terrible, ordenó construir la iglesia. Arquitectónicamente, era un templo independiente con una entrada aparte.

La urna de plata que contenía los restos mortales de San Basilio, fue perdida en la época conocida en la historiografía como los Tiempos Turbios, a principios del siglo XVII. Su memoria se honraba diariamente durante la misa y, a partir del siglo XVII, el nombre de la iglesia se extendió a toda la Catedral, convirtiéndose en su “denominación popular”, la Catedral de San Basilio.

A finales del siglo XVI las cúpulas de la Catedral recibieron su revestimiento actual que reemplazó el original, destruido por un incendio.
En 1672 por la zona suroriental fue construida una undécima iglesia: un pequeño templo encima de la tumba de San Juan, un santón también de fama milagrera, enterrado cerca de la Catedral en 1589.
En la segunda mitad del siglo XVII el aspecto de la Catedral sufrió cambios significativos: el tejadillo de madera, que protegía la galería de la intemperie y se destruía con facilidad en los incendios, fue sustituida por un tejado que se apoyaba en pequeños postes con arcos. Encima del atrio de la Iglesia de San Basilio fue construida la Iglesia de Santa Teodosia. Encima de las antes abiertas escaleras de piedra blanca que conducían al nivel superior de la Catedral aparecieron alpendes que se apoyaban en unos característicos arcos.

En la misma época apareció la pintura ornamental policromada que cubrió los alpendes, los pilares, las superficies exteriores de las galerías y el parapeto de la galería. Las fachadas seguían manteniendo la pintura que imitaba los ladrillos. En 1683, en la cornisa de la Catedral fue hecha una inscripción en grandes letras amarillas sobre un fondo azul que contaba la historia de la creación del templo y de su restauración en la segunda mitad del siglo XVII. Un siglo después, como resultado de una reforma, la inscripción desapareció.

En 1680, sufrió modificaciones el campanario que se transformó en uno de dos niveles con un espacio abierto en lo alto para tocar las campanas.
En 1737, durante un gran incendio, la Catedral de San Basilio sufrió muchos daños, sobre todo, la iglesia meridional. Durante las obras de reconstrucción de 1770-1780 en la técnica de sus pinturas fueron introducidos drásticos cambios. Al recinto de la Catedral fueron trasladados los altares de las iglesias de madera de la Plaza Roja que fueron derribadas para evitar incendios.

El interior de las iglesias se cubrió de pinturas al óleo con imágenes de los santos y escenas de sus vidas. Estas pinturas fueron restauradas en los años 1845-1848 y a finales del siglo XIX. Por fuera, las paredes fueron pintadas con la técnica que imitaba la incrustación de grandes piedras. Fueron construidos los arcos del primer nivel que no estaba destino a ser habitado y en la parte occidental de este nivel instalaron viviendas para los sacerdotes del templo. El campanario fue unido al edificio de la Catedral. La parte superior del altar de la iglesia de San Basilio (Iglesia de Santa Teodosia) fue convertida en la sacristía, el lugar donde se guardaban las reliquias y demás inventario religioso.

En 1812, las tropas de artillería de Napoleón recibieron la orden de volar la catedral. Sin embargo, sólo fue saqueado e inmediatamente después de la guerra fue reformada y consagrada de nuevo. Se instaló una verja de hierro forjado que cercaba parte del territorio alrededor de la Catedral.
A finales del siglo XIX se planteó por primera vez el objetivo de devolver a la Catedral su aspecto original. Fue creada una Comisión especial integrada por famosos arquitectos, científicos y pintores que trazaron las principales tendencias de la investigación y reconstrucción de la Catedral del Manto de la Virgen. No obstante, la falta de fondos, la Revolución de Octubre de 1917 y el posterior período de disturbios en el país impidieron la realización de los planes de reconstrucción.

En 1918, la Catedral del Manto de la Virgen fue uno de los primeros monumentos que el Estado Soviético puso bajo su protección como un monumento de importancia nacional y mundial. El 21 de mayo de 1923 fue abierto para visitas como museo histórico y arquitectónico. Al mismo tiempo, hasta 1929 en la Capilla de San Basilio se celebraron oficios religiosos.

En 1928, la Catedral del Manto de la Virgen se convirtió en una filial del Museo Histórico de Moscú y lo sigue siendo hasta el día de hoy.
En 1920, la Catedral fue sometida a unos trabajos de investigación y restauración de gran envergadura, gracias a los cuales fue posible recuperar el aspecto original de la Catedral y restaurar en algunas capillas los interiores de los siglos XVI-XVII.

Desde entonces y hasta el momento presente se han llevado a cabo 4 restauraciones globales que incluyeron tanto el aspecto arquitectónico como el pictórico. Fue recuperada la pintura que imitaba el ladrillo en el exterior de la Catedral y en el interior de dos de sus capillas.

Entre 1950 y 1960 se llevaron a cabo unos trabajos de restauración únicos: en el interior de la Iglesia central fue descubierta la inscripción de la creación de la Catedral, en la cual los antiguos arquitectos indicaban la fecha exacta del final de la obra, el 12 de julio de 1561, día de los Apóstoles San Pedro y San Pablo. El revestimiento de hierro de las cúpulas fue por primera vez sustituido por el cobre. El acierto en la elección de este material permitió a las cúpulas conservarse intactas hasta hoy.

En los interiores de 4 capillas fueron restaurados los iconostasios compuestos casi por completo por iconos de los siglos XVI-XVII, entre los cuales se hallan verdaderas obras maestras del arte antiguo ruso. En las demás capillas, se conservaron iconostasios de los siglos XVIII-XIX. Dos de ellos fueron trasladados a la Catedral en 1770 de las catedrales del Kremlin de Moscú.
En los años 70 del siglo XX, bajo las pinturas de la galería exterior fue encontrado un fresco del siglo XVII que sirvió de base para la reconstrucción de la pintura ornamental en las fachadas de la Catedral.

El año 1990 marcó un hito en la historia del museo: la Catedral de San Basilio fue incluida en la lista de los monumentos considerados Patrimonio de la Humanidad de la UNESCO y situados en el territorio de Rusia. Después de una larga pausa, se reanudaron los oficios religiosos en la Iglesia del Manto de la Virgen. En 1991, el uso del conjunto arquitectónico fue compartido por el Museo Histórico y la Iglesia Ortodoxa Rusa.

En 1997, en la capilla de San Basilio, cerrada al público desde finales de 1920, acabó la restauración de los interiores. Pasó a ser parte de la exposición del museo. En su recinto se reanudaron los oficiosos religiosos.

En la Catedral del Manto de la Virgen se celebran oficios religiosos y se honran especialmente las festividades del Manto de la Virgen y de San Basilio.
Entre 2001 y 2011 se llevó a cabo una completa restauración de 7 capillas de la Catedral, fueron renovadas las pinturas de la fachada y parcialmente la pintura a témpera de la galería interior. En 2007, la Catedral del manto de la Virgen ganó el concurso de las “7 maravillas de Rusia”.

One thought on “St. Basil’s Cathedral, Moscow, Russia… Catedral de San Basilio, Moscú, Rusia / la belleza de sus detalles… the beauty of its details

  1. Gracias por el viaje a la Catedral de San Basilio en Rusia a traves de las fotografias.
    Interesante la historia de la Catedral qué fué mandada a hacer por el Zar Ivan el Terrible.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.