Istanbul…Kucuk Ayasofya Cami…Estambul

Text credits:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Hagia_Sophia
Little Hagia Sophia Mosque
Küçük Ayasofya Camii
Materials brick, granite, marble
Little Hagia Sophia Mosque (Turkish: Küçük Ayasofya Camii), formerly the Church of the Saints Sergius and Bacchus (Greek: Ἐκκλησία τῶν Ἁγίων Σεργίου καὶ Βάκχου ἐν τοῖς Ὁρμίσδου, Ekklēsía tôn Hagíōn Sergíou kaì Bákchou en toîs Hormísdou), is a former Greek Eastern Orthodox church dedicated to Saints Sergius and Bacchus in Constantinople, converted into a mosque during the Ottoman Empire.
This Byzantine building with a central dome plan was erected in the sixth century by Justinian, likely was a model for Hagia Sophia (“Holy Wisdom”), and is one of the most important early Byzantine buildings in Istanbul. It was recognized at the time as an adornment to the entire city,[1] and a modern historian of the East Roman Empire has written that the church, “by the originality of its architecture and the sumptuousness of its carved decoration, ranks in Constantinople second only to St. Sophia itself”.[2]
Location
The building stands in Istanbul, in the district of Fatih and in the neighborhood of Kumkapı, at a short distance from the Marmara Sea, near the ruins of the Great Palace and to the south of the Hippodrome. It is now separated from the sea by the Sirkeci-Halkalı suburban railway line and the coastal road, Kennedy Avenue.
History
According to later legend, during the reign of Justin I, his nephew Justinian had been accused of plotting against the throne and was sentenced to death, avoided after Saints Sergius and Bacchus appeared before Justin and vouched for Justinian’s innocence. He was freed and restored to his title of Caesar, and in gratitude vowed that he would dedicate a church to the saints once he became emperor. The construction of this Church of Saints Sergius and Bacchus, between 527 and 536 AD (only a short time before the erection of the Hagia Sophia between 532 and 537), was one of the first acts of the reign of Justinian I.
The new church lay at the border between the First and Τhird Regio of the City, in an irregular area between the Palace of Hormisdas (the house of Justinian before his accession to the throne) and the Church of the Saints Peter and Paul. Back then, the two churches shared the same narthex, atrium and propylaea. The new church became the center of the complex, and part still survives today, towards the south of the northern wall of one of the two other edifices. The church was one of the most important religious structures in Constantinople. Shortly after the building of the church a monastery bearing the same name was built near the edifice.
Construction of the new church began shortly before that of Hagia Sophia, built from 532 to 537. It was believed that the building had been designed by the same architects, Isidorus of Miletus and Anthemius of Tralles, as a kind of “dress rehearsal” for that of the largest church of the Byzantine Empire. However, the building is quite different in architectural detail from the Hagia Sophia and the notion that it was but a small-scale version has largely been discredited.
During the years 536 and 537, the Palace of Hormisdas became a Monophysite monastery, where followers of that sect, coming from the eastern regions of the Empire and escaping the persecutions against them, found protection by Empress Theodora.
In year 551 Pope Vigilius, who some years before had been summoned to Constantinople by Justinian, found refuge in the church from the soldiers of the Emperor who wanted to capture him, and this attempt caused riots. During the Iconoclastic period the monastery became one of the centers of this movement in the City.
Ottoman period
After the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople in 1453, the church remained untouched until the reign of Bayezid II. Then (between 1506 and 1513) it was transformed into a mosque by Hüseyin Ağa, the Chief Black Eunuch, custodian of the Bab-ı-Saadet (literally The Gate of Felicity in Ottoman Turkish) in the Sultan’s residence, the Topkapı Palace. At that time the portico and madrasah were added to the church.
In 1740 the Grand Vizier Hacı Ahmet Paşa restored the mosque and built the Şadırvan (fountain). Damage caused by the earthquakes of 1648 and 1763 was repaired in 1831 under the reign of Sultan Mahmud II. In 1762 the minaret was first built. It was demolished in 1940 and built again in 1956.
The pace of decay of the building, which already suffered because of humidity and earthquakes through the centuries, accelerated after the construction of the railway. Parts of St. Peter and Paul to the south of the building were demolished to accommodate the rail line. Other damage was caused by the building’s use as housing for the refugees during the Balkan Wars.
Due to the increasing threats to the building’s static integrity, it was added some years ago to the UNESCO watch list of endangered monuments. The World Monuments Fund added it to its Watch List of the 100 Most Endangered Sites in 2002, 2004, and 2006. After an extensive restoration which lasted several years and ended in September 2006, it has been opened again to the public and for worship.

Español
Créditos de este texto:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_San_Sergio_y_San_Baco
La Iglesia de San Sergio y San Baco, conocida en turco como mezquita Pequeña Santa Sofía (Küçuk Ayasofya Camii) es una mezquita de Estambul que tiene su origen en una iglesia ortodoxa dedicada a San Sergio y San Baco en Constantinopla, que se convirtió en templo musulmán durante el imperio otomano.
El edificio bizantino con una cúpula central fue erigido en el siglo VI siendo el modelo en el que se inspiraron para la construcción de Santa Sofía por lo que es conocida también con el nombre de Pequeña Santa Sofía. Es uno de los mejores ejemplos de arquitectura bizantina temprana de Estambul.
Localización
El edificio está situado en el distrito de Eminönü, Estambul, Turquía a escasa distancia del Mar de Mármara, el Gran Palacio y el Hipódromo de Constantinopla. Está separada del mar por la línea de ferrocarril de Sirkeci-Halkalı y la carretera que discurre por la costa.
Historia
Periodo bizantino
Según cuenta la leyenda durante el reinado de Justino I, su sobrino Justiniano fue acusado de traición contra el trono por lo que fue sentenciado a muerte. Sin embargo los santos se aparecieron en un sueño a Justino y atestiguaron la inocencia de Justiniano. Gracias a esto fue liberado y su título de César fue restaurado. En agradecimiento a los santos, Justiniano, prometió dedicar una iglesia a los mártires una vez fuera proclamado emperador.
La construcción de la iglesia se inició en el año 527 siendo finalizada la obra en el 536 siendo uno de los primeros actos en el reinado del emperador.1
La localización que fue elegida para la nueva iglesia era un área irregular entre el palacio de Hormisdas (la casa de justiniano antes de su ascensión al trono) y la iglesia de San Pedro y San Pablo. Compartió con esta iglesia el nártex, atrio y la Propylea. El templo se convirtió en el centro del complejo, y parte todavía sobrevive en el día de hoy, hacia el sur, la pared norte de uno de los dos edificios. La iglesia era una de las estructuras religiosas más importantes de Constantinopla. Poco después del templo un monasterio fue construido cerca del edificio con el mismo nombre.
Debido a su fuerte semejanza exterior a la iglesia de Santa Sofía, se cree que el edificio fue diseñado por los mismos arquitectos, llamados Isidoro de Mileto y Antemio de Tralles, y que su erección fue una especie de zona de pruebas para Santa Sofía. Sin embargo, en términos de detalles arquitectónicos, el edificio es totalmente diferente en diseño del de Hagia Sophia y la teoría de que era una versión en escala reducida se ha desacreditado en gran parte.
Durante los años 536 y 537, el palacio de Hormisdas se convirtió en un monasterio de monofistas, en donde los seguidores de esta secta, viniendo de las regiones del este del imperio y escapando las persecuciones contra ellas, encontraron la protección de la Emperatriz Teodora.
En el año 551 el papa Vigilio, el cuál había sido convocado unos años a Constantinopla por Justiniano, encontró refugio en la iglesia cuando los soldados del Emperador quisieron capturarlo causando un gran alboroto.2
Periodo otomano
Tras la caída de Constantinopla a manos del ejército Otomano en 1453, la iglesia permaneció intacta hasta el reinado del sultán Beyazid II. Entonces, entre los años 1506 y 1513, el templo fue transformado en mezquita por Hüseyin Ağa, jefe de los Aghas, quienes custodiaban la Puerta de la Felicidad (Bab-ı-Saadet) en la residencia del Sultán en el Palacio de Topkapı. en este tiempo el pórtico de la madrasa fue añadida al edificio.
En 1740 el Gran Visir Hacı Ahmet Paşa restauró la mezquita y construyó el Şadırvan (fuente). Dañada por los terremotos de 1648 y 1763 fue reparada en 1831 bajo el reinado del sultán Mahmut II. En 1762 el minarete fue construido siendo demolido en 1940 y en 1956 fue de nuevo construido.
El mal estado del edificio por los terremotos y la humedad se agravó con la construcción del ferrocarril. La construcción de la línea del tren provocó la destrucción de partes del edificio. Otro daño más para el edificio fue su uso como vivienda para los refugiados de la guerra de los Balcanes.
Debido a las cada vez mayores amenazas para la integridad del edificio, fue agregado a la lista de seguimiento de la Unesco de monumentos en peligro. El fondo mundial de monumentos lo agregó a su lista de vigilancia de los 100 sitios más en peligro de 2002, de 2004, y de 2006. Después de que una restauración extensa que duró varios años y terminó en septiembre de 2006, se ha abierto otra vez al público y para el culto.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s