Chapultepec Castle, part 2….Castillo de Chapultepec, parte 2

IMG_4975

The Castillo de Chapultepec
Since ancient times to the present, architecture has always thrived in close relation to the political and economic power. Just a few examples suffice to realize that we can discover, through buildings, a history of power in various human societies.
During the colonial period, Chapultepec was appreciated as a place of rest and relaxation, for which it was built at the base of the hill, on the foundations of what was once the residence of Moctezuma II Xocoyotzin, a palace that gave shelter to numerous viceroys and distinguished visitors for over two centuries. However, the explosion of a powder magazine in the mid eighteenth century, which caused serious damage in the building, led to the decision that the new palace was built on top of the hill, right on the site of an ancient chapel dedicated San Miguel Archangel.
Work started on August 16, 1785, when he ruled New Spain Viceroy Bernardo de Gálvez. The charge of making the plans was Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bambitelli engineer. First was conducted clearing the hill; then came the excavations, cuts the ground, forming embankments and factory walls designed to support the building.
As Bambitelli had to go to Havana, Captain Manuel infantry and engineer Agustín Mascaro was in front of the works.
Although the construction was going quickly, Bernardo did not have the opportunity to see over the palace because died on November 8, 1786. His sudden death shocked everyone, primarily a number of his enemies accused him of building a large thence fortitude to ignore the government of Spain. He says, without the weight of the supporting evidence, that he was poisoned.
The Spanish Crown ordered to suspend work and auction the work on 60 thousand dollars even though it had already invested over 300 thousand pesos. Fortunately there was no one was interested in the building. In the absence of buyers in 1792 Viceroy Juan Vicente de Guemes Pacheco and Padilla, second Earl of Revillagigedo, assigned him to General Archive of the Kingdom of New Spain, but the project also bore fruit even though planes had already adaptation made by the architect Miguel Constanzó.
Alexander von Humboldt became the capital of New Spain in 1803 and visited, among other places, the hill and the Alcázar de Chapultepec. In his book titled Political Essay of the Kingdom of New Spain condemned the vandalism of the ministers of the Real Property, in the name of the economy began to sell at auction the windows, the doors and windows of the building which was at 2325 meters above sea level, leaving it exposed to the brunt of the winds.
Finally, the City Council of the City of Mexico acquired it in 1806, thanks to which forest and castle escaped almost miraculously, to belong to a particular. During the War of Independence (1810-1821), the building was abandoned and continued until 1833 when it was decreed that was headquarters of the Military College. Then he began to be known as “Castle”, although it was not until 1844, after she failed several adaptations and erect at the top of the hill the “Knight High” or “Tower”, the building started functioning as College.
During 12 and September 13, 1847, Castle was bombed by the U.S. military, causing serious damage. Two years later the site would be returned to the Military School, but would spend more than 20 years before the building managed to operate permanently as a center of military education.
During the administration of President Miguel Miramon (1859-1860), who was a former student of the Military Academy and survivor of the Battle of Chapultepec during the American intervention, some rooms were built on the second floor of the Palace.
However, that section acquired its present appearance since 1864, when Maximilian and Carlota came to rule the country and decided to settle there imperial residence. To achieve its purpose convened several Austrian architects, French, Belgian and Mexican as Julius Hofmann, E. Suban, Carl Kaiser, Carlos Schaffer, Eleuterio Méndez and Ramón Rodríguez Arangoity. They performed numerous architectural projects in order to make that beautiful living space.
The garden was in charge air Botanist Wilhelm Knechtel Austrian origin although, as Carlota, “was due more to Max’s hand.” As the works progressed rapidly, began to arrive in Europe furniture, pianos, ceramic jars, porcelain tableware and Christofle silver, oil paintings with portraits of the imperial family, tapestries, clocks, table linen, glassware, in short, everything you need to make a real palace of the Alcazar. At the fall of the empire in 1867, the building was abandoned until 1872.
Nearly 10 years later (1876) was enacted to establish at Chapultepec Astronomical, Meteorological and Magnetic Observatory, which was opened two years later and only worked until 1883, when it was ordered to move to the building of the former Archbishop in Tacubaya. The reasons? The Return of the Military College and adaptation of the building as a presidential residence.
The property suffer from numerous architectural 1882, during the administration of President Manuel González modifications. Then, throughout the tenure of General Porfirio Diaz, the Castle and the Palace would reach its peak. Then they inhabit several emanating presidents of the Mexican Revolution: Francisco I. Madero, Venustiano Carranza, Álvaro Obregón, Plutarco Elias Calles, Emilio Portes Gil, Pascual Ortiz Rubio and Abelardo Rodríguez finally.
http://www.castillodechapultepec.inah.gob.mx/historia/hist_historicos.html
http://www.translate.google.com.mx

El Castillo de Chapultepec
Desde la época más remota hasta nuestros días, la arquitectura ha prosperado siempre en estrecha relación con el poder político y económico. Bastarían sólo algunos ejemplos para percatarse de que podemos descubrir, a través de los edificios, una historia del poder en las diversas sociedades humanas.
Durante el periodo virreinal, Chapultepec fue apreciado como un lugar de descanso y esparcimiento, para lo cual se construyó, en la base del cerro, sobre los cimientos de lo que fuera residencia de Moctezuma II Xocoyotzin, un palacio que dio albergue a numerosos virreyes y visitantes distinguidos durante más de dos siglos. Sin embargo, la explosión de un polvorín a mediados del siglo XVIII, que causó serios destrozos en el edificio, llevó a tomar la decisión de que el nuevo palacio se construyera en la cima del cerro, justo en el lugar que ocupaba una antigua ermita dedicada al arcángel San Miguel.
Los trabajos se iniciaron el 16 de agosto de 1785, cuando gobernaba la Nueva España el virrey Bernardo de Gálvez. El encargado de realizar los planos fue el teniente coronel e ingeniero Francisco Bambitelli. Primero se llevó a cabo el desmonte del cerro; después vinieron las excavaciones, los cortes del terreno, la formación de terraplenes y la fábrica de los muros destinados a sostener el edificio.
Como Bambitelli tuvo que marchar a La Habana, el capitán de infantería e ingeniero Manuel Agustín Mascaró quedó al frente de las obras.
A pesar de que la construcción marchaba con rapidez, don Bernardo no tuvo la oportunidad de ver terminado el palacio porque murió el 8 de noviembre de 1786. Su repentino fallecimiento sorprendió a todos, principalmente a varios de sus enemigos que lo acusaban de construir una gran fortaleza para desde ahí desconocer al gobierno de España. Se afirma, sin el peso de la evidencia comprobatoria, que fue envenenado.
La Corona española ordenó suspender los trabajos y subastar la obra en 60 mil pesos a pesar de que ya se habían invertido más de 300 mil pesos. Afortunadamente no hubo quien se interesara por el edificio. Ante la falta de compradores, en 1792 el virrey Juan Vicente de Güemes Pacheco y Padilla, segundo conde de Revillagigedo, lo destinó para Archivo General del Reino de la Nueva España, pero el proyecto tampoco fructificó a pesar de que ya se tenían los planos de adaptación hechos por el arquitecto Miguel Constanzó.
Alexander von Humboldt llegó a la capital de la Nueva España en 1803 y visitó, entre otros sitios, el cerro y el Alcázar de Chapultepec. En su libro titulado Ensayo político del Reino de la Nueva España condenó el vandalismo de los ministros de la Real Hacienda, que en nombre de la economía empezaron a vender en subasta los vidrios, las puertas y las ventanas del edificio que se encontraba a 2 325 metros sobre el nivel del mar, dejándolo expuesto al embate de los vientos.
Finalmente el Ayuntamiento de la Ciudad de México lo adquirió en 1806, gracias a lo cual bosque y palacio se salvaron, casi de milagro, de pertenecer a un particular. Durante la guerra de Independencia (1810 a 1821), el edificio estuvo abandonado y así continuó hasta 1833 en que se decretó que fuera sede del Colegio Militar. Entonces se le comenzó a conocer como “Castillo”, aunque no fue sino hasta 1844, tras hacerle varias adaptaciones y erigir en la parte más alta del cerro el “Caballero Alto” o “Torreón”, que el edificio comenzó a funcionar como Colegio.
Durante los días 12 y 13 de septiembre de 1847, el Castillo fue bombardeado por el ejército estadounidense, causándole serios destrozos. Dos años después el recinto sería devuelto al Colegio Militar, pero habrían de pasar más de 20 años antes que el edificio lograra funcionar permanentemente como centro de enseñanza castrense.
Durante el gobierno del presidente Miguel Miramón (1859-1860), quien fue ex alumno del Colegio Militar y sobreviviente de la batalla de Chapultepec durante la intervención norteamericana, se construyeron algunos cuartos en el segundo piso del Alcázar.
No obstante, esa sección adquirió su fisonomía actual a partir de 1864, cuando Maximiliano y Carlota llegaron a gobernar el país y decidieron establecer allí su residencia imperial. Para lograr su propósito convocaron a varios arquitectos austriacos, franceses, belgas y mexicanos, como Julius Hofmann, E. Suban, Carl Kaiser, Carlos Schaffer, Eleuterio Méndez y Ramón Rodríguez Arangoity. Ellos realizaron numerosos proyectos arquitectónicos con el fin de hacer habitable ese hermoso espacio.
El jardín aéreo estuvo a cargo del botánico de origen austriaco Wilhelm Knechtel aunque, según Carlota, “se debió más a la mano de Max”. En tanto las obras avanzaban con rapidez, comenzaban a llegar de Europa muebles, pianos, tibores, vajillas de porcelana y de plata Christofle, óleos con los retratos de la pareja imperial, tapices, relojes de mesa, mantelería, cristalería, en fin, todo lo necesario para hacer del Alcázar un verdadero palacio. A la caída del imperio en 1867, el edificio quedó en el abandono hasta 1872.
Casi 10 años después (1876) se decretó establecer en Chapultepec el Observatorio Astronómico, Meteorológico y Magnético, que fue inaugurado dos años más tarde y sólo funcionó hasta 1883, año en que se ordenó trasladarlo al edificio del ex arzobispado en Tacubaya. ¿Las razones? El regreso del Colegio Militar y la adaptación del edificio como residencia presidencial.
El inmueble sufriría numerosas modificaciones arquitectónicas a partir de 1882, durante la gestión del presidente Manuel González. Después, a lo largo del mandato del general Porfirio Díaz, el Castillo y el Alcázar alcanzarían su mayor esplendor. Luego lo habitarían varios presidentes emanados de la Revolución Mexicana: Francisco I. Madero, Venustiano Carranza, Álvaro Obregón, Plutarco Elías Calles, Emilio Portes Gil, Pascual Ortiz Rubio y por último Abelardo Rodríguez.
http://www.castillodechapultepec.inah.gob.mx/historia/hist_historicos.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s