Divonne-les-Bains is a commune in the Ain department in eastern France.
Divonne-les-Bains is a spa town situated on the border with French-speaking Switzerland, between the foot of the Jura mountains and Lake Geneva. It is situated in the Pays de Gex, about eight km from Gex, from which the area takes its name. Divonne is about 20 km from Geneva to the south-west and 15 km from Nyon to the east. Since 2012 Divonne forms part of a wider agglomeration known as “Grand Geneve”.
A short way above the town there are several springs, which were exploited in the 19th century to provide spa facilities for which Divonne has became renowned.
The golf course was built in the 1930s. Many of its present-day amenities – casino, hippodrome, open air swimming pool and artificial lake (Lac de Divonne) – were built after 1945. The Casino de Divonne was opened in 1954. A cultural centre by the lake (L’Esplanade du lac) was completed in 2005. Divonne used to host a small chamber music festival every summer, centred on its tiny theatre and the Domaine de Divonne.
There is a lively market on Sundays and a succession of cultural and sporting events throughout the year.
Ciudad fronteriza con Suiza (cantón de Vaud), de la que la separa el río Versoix. Forma parte de la zona aduanera especial.
Divonne fue apreciada por los romanos por la calidad de sus aguas. Así un acueducto unía Divonne con Nyon para suministrar a ésta agua potable.
En 1830 llegaron a Divonne los primeros visitantes modernos a tomar las aguas, y la villa fue tomando fama; en 1855 se inauguró su primer hotel moderno. En 1849 el Dr Paul Vidart creó la estación termal. En 1892 Divonne pasa a llamarse oficialmente Divonne-les-Bains.